Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chemo Scheduled

I had a wonderful birthday last Friday.  I spent the day surrounded by loved ones.  To the left is a photo of me and my little girl who couldn't wait to get her hands on that cake.  We spent Sunday with friends who came to visit from Tracy.  We had a very nice time but getting out of the house for the day made me realize how weak I still am.  I was exhausted.

I have officially received my tentative chemotherapy schedule.  I will begin treatment on Monday, June 11th.  I received a call yesterday from the plastic surgeon stating that he found some "strange bacteria" at the surgical site.  I emailed the info to my oncologist and he wanted to get me on antibiotics immediately.  All this had to go through the OB who said there are no oral antibiotics for this kind of infection that are safe for the baby.  They wanted me to go in for a shot.  I wasn't able to get up to Santa Barbara before all the doctor's had gone home for the day so I was told to come in first thing the following morning.  Then I got a call from the general surgeon who wanted me to come in and see her before I had any antibiotics.  So that's what I did.  First thing this morning I went in to see the general surgeon.  She said that I absolutely do NOT have an infection.  If I had the bacterial infection that showed up on the culture, I would have high fevers, would need to go to the hospital for IV antibiotics, and I would have had to have the implant removed.  Needless to say...I'm pretty happy that I don't have an infection.  I am pretty irritated with my plastic surgeon though.  When I called my husband to tell him the results of my appointment, he informed me that at the appointment when all this bacteria was found, the plastic surgeon had washed his hands and then blew his nose with the same paper towel he used to dry his hands with.  And this was before he examined the incision, removed the stitches and swabbed the surgical sight.  No wonder there was disgusting bacteria found!  Who knows if the scissors and tweezers he was using were even sterilized.  I have an appointment scheduled with my new plastic surgeon in two weeks and my husband has been properly chastised.  At times having four different doctors makes my head spin.


1 comment:

  1. Your faith amaze me. You inspire me so much! Reading your blog helps to renew my faith. I wish I was good with words, but I'm not. I had to send you a message to say how awesome you are the the amazing work the Lord is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete