Monday, October 8, 2012

Overwhelmed

I've always been a strong believer in community.  Maybe it comes from being raised in a big family and then it was reinforced when I worked for a non-profit that had a huge community building outreach.  I am completely overwhelmed by the love and support of my community... my family, my friends, my church, my children's teachers and classmates, my children's sports teams, and the whole Ventura community.

Today I have felt an increase in energy.  I feel loved and most of all, I feel peace.  This can be such a lonely experience but when surrounded by a community that supports and encourages me, it's impossible to feel anything other than gratitude.  I feel overwhelmed with gratitude.

I was told shortly after I was diagnosed that there are three essential things that would help me survive cancer.  Those three things are faith, family, and attitude.  Fortunately, I have been blessed with strong faith.  I trust the Lord with my life...period.  I believe I will be healed.  I am blessed with a supportive and loving family.  My attitude is something I've struggled with all my life.  I've been known to have an Eeyore personality... you know.... poor me.  Fortunately about two years ago, I learned a huge life lesson.  My perspective determines my path.  I can choose to dwell on one negative or I can choose to be grateful for the multitude of positives.

I like being overwhelmed.  I am so overwhelmed with positives in my life that there isn't any room to dwell on the negative.  There isn't any room to feel sorry for myself while I am feeling so much appreciation for all the support I've received.  Thank you... to all of you!

My friend Heidi, is running a 10K this weekend for the 20th Annual Walk/Run for the Cancer Center of Santa Barbara.  Her team's name is the Becky Dahls.  She is doing this event in my honor.  (Yes another blessing)  This event will fund research at the location I am being treated.  My three kids and my nephew Caleb will be running the kid's mile.  The event takes place on Sunday.  Heidi's goal is to raise $1,000.  So far her team has raised $855.  If you have a desire to contribute to cancer research, here is an awesome opportunity!

Donate here:
http://www.ccsb.org/participant/team/The%20Becky%20Dahls/



No comments:

Post a Comment