Friday, October 26, 2012

Miracle Baby

Just in case you didn't believe that God is responsible for the perfect creation and survival of my little miracle baby, a few extra twists were thrown in to add extra awe and wonder to the situation.  His name is Ezekiel James Raymond.  Born October 25, 2012 at 7:05pm.  8lbs 4 oz and 20 1/2 inches long.  I was sure that his name would be Luke, but once he was born, it was evident that he was not a Luke.  He is Ezekiel because it means "Strengthened by God".

I had my natural child birth with the exception of cervidil to induce labor and zofran at the very end  of my labor to help with the nausea. No pain meds at all.  So those endorphins are working their magic.  I thought my labor was going to last forever when I was checked at 4 pm and still only dilated between a 3 and 4.  My doctor was in surgery all day and finally arrived at around 6 pm.  By that time I was exhausted and dreading the thought of having my water broken and the contractions getting any more intense.  She checked me and I was dilated to a 9.  I cried from relief when she told me.  My doctor left to go change into her scrubs for the delivery and the nurses prepared the room.

I have had quite a bit of pride when it comes to my child baring capabilities.  This is my third natural child birth.  I thought it was going to be a breeze but as I'm recalling it now, I'm trying to hold back my tears.  When Dr. Ramos came back from changing into her scrubs, she told me to go ahead and start pushing.  She said there was just a little lip of the cervix that needed to be pushed aside as I tried to push his head out.  Dr. Ramos applied pressure trying to push that lip aside and it felt like that extra little bit of pressure was a huge amount of force fighting against every effort I made to push the little guy out.  I felt like I was fighting a battle that couldn't be won.  I said out loud, "I can't do it."  Even when I said it, I knew I didn't have a choice and that I had to do it and I felt so silly for saying that I couldn't.  Dr. Ramos then informed me that he was coming out sunny side up.  I guess that explains all the leg numbness and lower back pain.

So I finally pushed his head out and the umbilical cord is wrapped around his neck twice.  John was so panicked that he grabbed the cord to help the doctor remove it from the baby's neck.  I pushed him out the rest of the way and the nurse put him on my chest and I started sobbing.  They I heard Dr. Ramos say, "This is the luckiest baby!"  She repeated it three times and then showed me the knot in the umbilical cord.  I don't know if it awes everyone else as much as it awes me.  My miracle...my boy who has already survived so much.  I feel so blessed to be entrusted with his little life.  This is why he is Ezekiel.  He is our little miracle who is strengthened by God to survive and to thrive.

I'm crying from joy in this picture.

The knot in the umbilical cord
The proud brothers and sister
Tobias, Ephraim, Daphne and Ezekiel Raymond



8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Rebecca. He IS a miracle baby and his name is so perfect and fitting. You and your family have been so blessed by God with this pregnancy. This is our first, and your post just made me SO excited for him to come in just a few short weeks. You are such an inspiration to me and Hope For Two survivors everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome miracle of God! I have been praying for a safe and happy delivery for you. So glad to see God answer prayer. SOOO incredibly happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way, LOVE the name and its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky. I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Charity's friend and I met you when we were both in town a couple weeks ago. I just wanted to say congratulations on the birth of Ezekiel. I have been praying for a safe delivery for you, and it is so neat to hear how your son was strengthened by God. Blessings to you and your family. Love his name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Rebecca!! So glad Ezekiel has arrived and that you are both doing so well!! All I can say is thank you Lord!! He was watching over Ezekiel from the very beginning. He is truly a MIRACLE and I am so happy for you and your family. You are in my prayers!! The Lord is doing more than we can ever see with our human eyes. I am so grateful for His awesome power!! Lisa Gallardo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a friend of Kirsten (A Bump and a Lump) and just found your blog through her site and started reading through! First of all, I'm amazed by your story. What a strong woman you are! And this birth story gave me chills. What a miracle baby. And secondly, my baby girl, Maggie, shares a birthday with your Zeek AND they had the same exact stats on birth! 8lbs 4oz and 20.5 inches long! I just thought that was a crazy coincidence and had to comment! M was born at 6:33pm, so just half and hour before your little guy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a crazy coincidence! Maybe they're soul mates. ;) Thank you so much for your kind words. I love Zeek's birth story so much and it means a lot to me that it touched you enough to take the time to comment. If you're friends with Kirsten on FB, friend me. I would love to see pictures of your little girl.

      Delete