Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Final Ultrasound

We are fearfully and wonderfully made... and my soul knows it well.  I had my final ultrasound with the perinatologist yesterday and guess what?  I am bald but the little boy growing inside of me has hair!  My heart is delighted by this!  Today I am 36 weeks pregnant and the ultrasound estimates baby boy's weight to be 7 lbs 4 oz.  The perinatologist recommended that I be induced at 38 weeks.  I told him I don't see a medical need to be induced...so...no thanks!  The ultrasound was amazing!  We could see him practice breathing... watching his little chest rise and fall.  This little boy is so strong willed already.  He faced my back during the entire ultrasound so the tech couldn't get a look at his face and he refused to move with any poking or prodding done to my stomach.  Today I went to my OB for my routine check up and she tried to do a non stress test (monitoring his heart rate for 20 minutes).  Well, they couldn't find his heart rate at all for the first 20 minutes because he would roll away, kick, punch, and who knows what else he was doing.  I was laughing at my strong willed little guy making that nurse work so hard to find a heart rate.  They ended up finding it and I had to move it as he moved for about five minutes until they finally gave up.

I am still officially on modified bed rest because I'm only a week and a half out from my last chemo treatment, but I got the okay to start being more active after this weekend.  I'm really looking forward to getting out for some light exercise.  I'll have to limit it to walking... at a really slow pace because my muscles have atrophied so much from all of my inactivity.  

I'm out of brain power for tonight.  Pregnancy brain and chemo brain combined have left me.....

6 comments:

  1. Good work... Love you!

    Nate D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca and John, Your family picture of the SIX of you at the stairs in the VC Star article caught my attention and screamed of Karen Loberg. My wife Katy and I both love Jesus and have been traveling a similar path with breast cancer, but at a different stage of life. Katy has has several articles on her cancer in the VC Star over the past year. We are both tired of "the pink thing" but understand the need. Karen shot many a photo of Katy's journey. We will add you to our prayer list for God to continue to pour out His Love to you and your family. I enjoyed your blog, perhaps you would enjoy reading Katy's at http://pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.com/
    God Cares! Jerry Hadduck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jerry. Your wife is beautiful and witty. I read a couple of her blog posts...skipped over the radiation wound post and pics after reading a couple of sentences. Love her $100,000 hair! Thank you for your kind words and especially your prayers!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Becky! The radiation wound I experienced is, by far, the exception. Most women breeze through the radiation treatments with no problems. I had kind of a unique situation in that I was taking some "mop-up" chemo at the same time that sensitizes the skin, so DON'T WORRY. Your story and experience will help other women as they process through their own, and there are a BUNCH of us who are winning the breast cancer battle out there.

    As a nurse who worked L&D about a million years ago, I'll share my philosophy of having a baby. It's like building a boat in your basement. Getting it in there usually is no big deal, but getting it out is an engineering wonder. Blessings and happiness as you approach your own engineering project! Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for clarifying about the radiation wound. I have trouble with the unknown and try not to read anything negative about other people's experiences with the treatments I'll be going through. It freaks me out. But now I won't worry...as much. :)
      I like your philosophy on child birth. You really are very witty. I enjoyed reading your blog and I will continue to read it.

      Delete
  4. And I will read yours, with joy and anticipation! Katy

    ReplyDelete