Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cancer Run

Last night John and I were talking about my situation and he said, "I don't think you have cancer."  I said, "I agree.  I'm choosing to believe that it was all cut out during the surgery.  I think I don't actually have cancer at all anymore."  I was thinking about this statement and wondering if I should put it on my blog because I still get the "what ifs".  What if I'm wrong and after the baby is born the scans show that there is more cancer?  What if...?  Well...if I'm wrong then I'm wrong...but I believe I'm right.

Today was so wonderful.  We went to Montecito to watch my friends do the 5k/10k run in my honor.  As I stood there watching them cross the finish line, I couldn't help but have tears in my eyes.  It was such an awesome experience!  I felt so blessed and inspired by all these ladies.  I wonder if they know how they have impacted me with the gift they gave me today.  I'm telling you...it's impossible to feel down when surrounded by people constantly going out of their way to lift you up.



Below is a picture of me and my two friends, Heidi and Erika.  I met them my freshman year in high school...almost 20 years ago.  They both have been such a blessing to me.  Right before I lost my hair, they went hat shopping for me and today they blessed me again.  I lost touch with them for several years but they have come back into my life with gusto!  I am so appreciative of them.


My kids and my nephew ran the 1 mile.  I was so proud of them.  My 5 year old little girl ran the entire mile with my sister Cyndi by her side. She stopped twice for a quick drink of water but other than that she didn't walk any of it. Both Ephraim and Tobias went back and forth passing each other with the traditional competitive spirit our family can't seem to contain.  Ephraim finish first and when Tobias finished and received his medal, he asked if it was okay to keep running more laps around the track.  He ended up running a full two miles.  He finished just before his name was called in the drawing for tickets to the L.A. zoo.  Tobias was excited when I told him that next year we could run the 5k together.  Caleb, my nephew, walked most of the mile with a painful knee and finished his last lap running.  I was so proud of him for finishing even though he was the last one to finish.  It was a great day!






2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you put that on your blog. Forget the what ifs (well, forget as much as possible!) and tell the world exactly what you want. It takes courage to say those words, but I think they're good for us.

    Congrats to you and your family on the run! ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Montecito to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you :)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete